Elegance has nothing to do with beauty, size or money. To quote Coco Chanel: “Elegance does not consist of putting on a new dress.”
What then, is elegance? What it is the secret to be elegant? There is no magic formula, but here are some tips that might help you achieve a more elegant look:
- Simplicity (or “Less is more!”): You’ve got the perfect black dress, the perfect white shirt, the impeccable pant suit. By themselves they are perfect, so DO NOT overdo it! You love colorful accessories and a lot of jewelry but again try to keep it simple. Think: elegance is the opposite of looking like a Christmas Tree!
- Look for the perfect cut, the one that suits you. If you are petit, avoid skirts under the knee, or high boots. If you are tall, go for crepe pants during the summer, and look for the extra long in the winter, but make sure that you can adjust the length on them. Avoid pants that fit perfectly but are obviously too short for you. Again, this is not a question of size but a question of the cut.
- Dress for your age. Ok, I know this sounds bad. You can have a more “juvenile” style that you can pull off no matter how old you are, and if you can, that is fantastic. Unfortunately, not everybody has that ability. So, if you are not comfortable with it, then DO NOT wear it! That leads to our next point:
- Be comfortable. Feel like you are wearing the clothes, and not that the clothes are wearing you.
- And finally, remember that elegance is mainly about how you feel about yourself. If you feel clumsy, underdressed, or shy, put some make up on, smile at yourself in the mirror, and feel the elegance.